Tuesday 3 September 2013

The Merrytimes (get it?!)

The last couple of weeks have been a little bittersweet. Having not reached my goal of making the World Championships team, I had some time to reflect on my season and what went wrong (and also what went right!). I've come to the conclusion that while racing did not go the way I hoped this year, it really is just a setback. There is rarely a time that your life is 100% kink-free, and working out those kinks is part of what makes success so satisfying. So, I'm beginning the de-kinking (I'm not sure if that's a phrase...) process for 2014! With the help of my coach, some hard work, and some much needed down time at the end of the season, I will be ready to go for next year.

After Mt. Sainte Anne (which went horribly... there is no way to dress that performance up nicely), I came home for 2 weeks of rest, mental recuperation, and a little bit of a "normal" summer. I did some nice rides - of course, only in baggies - to rekindle the love of mountain biking, helped my sister get ready for her first year at university, and read about a thousand pages of Dan Brown. After that, I got ready for my first actual vacation in God knows how long! My bike and I flew to Halifax for a week of riding and hanging out in Lespyville. Fun is an understatement!

I spent the first few days exploring the local riding and the city, both of which I loved! The mtb riding is really unique... A bit like northern Ontario, but with a little je ne sais quoi. On Friday, we went for a rip with the girls from the local junior team. Man, those girls are talented! At 13, they are riding terrain that I wouldn't have touched until last year. Definitely bright futures waiting for those girls in the mountain biking world.

The local Juniors; Mackenzie, Isabelle, and Anya. Nice to meet you, girls!
On Saturday, we went out to the country and explored the place where Lespy grew up. I felt like I should have been frolicking in the heather wearing a kilt, with hair streaming behind me. Unfortunately, I don't have a kilt and I'm really not all that good at frolicking. On a serious note, it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The riding was pretty gnarly, and I did almost plunge to my death over an oceanside cliff (I may be exaggerating slightly), but it was awesome. A very memorable experience.
This is how I felt out in Prospect. 

I can see how people fall in love with the East Coast


Sunday rolled around, and it was time to man-up and face my fears... we were going out in the boat. We spent the afternoon and evening cruising around the water (man, I'd like to have a pirate ship) and I didn't even have a nervous breakdown. Another fear crossed off the list!

Believe it or not... I actually got in (eventually)

Also on the weekend my parents flew down with my sister, who is starting first year at Dalhousie. Pretty exciting stuff! She got all moved in, and we had a nice dinner together before saying our goodbyes for the next month and a half. Good luck at school Jenna, I know you'll crush it!

Jenna's new home!

All in all it was a great trip, and it was a great way to end off the summer! We have one more race this weekend - Provincial Championships - before I head back to school bright and early Monday morning. Happy new school year, everyone!

PS. huge congrats to all the Canucks who raced in RSA last week! You all did so well, and made the country proud.




This is my "I-hate-posing-for-pictures-so-I-will-just-stand-here-and-look-awkward" face. 


Thanks for letting me know my helmet had been crooked for the past two hours...

Not bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment