Tuesday 11 September 2012

Worlds 2012

 I love biking. I mean I really, REALLY love it. Nothing else in the world makes me as happy as I feel when I'm biking. Biking has given me so many opportunities and experiences that I would never have had if I wasn't obsessed with these two-wheeled machines. World travel, best friends, and sick riding are just some of the things I've been lucky enough to experience, and I'm so grateful for all of it.

As you may know, my race at World Championships this past week did not go as planned. A disappointing start led to a disappointing crash, which led to a (more than) disappointing finish. I think the fact that I love biking so much makes a "failure" such as this way harder to handle than, say, failing an exam. I've been kicking myself in the face since last Friday because of the stupid decision I made that effectively ended my race.

Immediately after the race, I felt like I had failed. But, within half an hour, I started to realize that it wasn't in fact a failure, but the most valuable learning experience I've ever had on a bike. As Lespy says, "It's all practice 'til it counts". While he was referring to something entirely different when he told me that, it applies pretty well here. Yeah, I screwed up. However, now I know exactly what NOT to do in order to win. I'm pretty happy that I've got that figured out already.

Aside from the race, this was the most fun Team Canada trip I've ever been on, hands down! The team was so sick, and I had so much fun with all the guys and gals from across the country. You guys rock. The staff was awesome to work with, too. As always, Scott was an endless source of entertainment. The mechanics, soigneurs (how do you spell that?), and coaches were uuuuuuh-mazing. Thank you for an unforgettable trip!

To put it plainly, leaving Austria sucked haha. It was such a fun trip, and heading back to school was not exactly an enticing prospect. Watching the elite races, the team relay (who kicked ass, by the way) and the eliminator got me SO pumped for next year; it's going to be a loooong off season. Hopefully I'll be heading to Europe with Cayley next spring for some more Euro racing action. I've definitely caught the bug... I just want to race and race and race!

I'm back at school for the time being, but only for three days haha. Up next is Crank the Shield, which is a 3 Day stage race in Northern Ontario. It was a blast the last time I did it in 2010, and it should be even better this year! I'm tag-teaming it with none other than Dr. Watson, and hopefully I'll get to ride a bit with my other Norco boys and Cayley. Pretty stoked on this, should be a blast.

The jet lag is hitting me hard, so I'm going to cut this update short (well, short for me haha). I've got a couple more days of rest and recovery (aka major maple syrup consumption) before pounding out the ~220km of trail this weekend.

Only 7.5 more hours of lectures this week before I'm free! Counting down the hours when you've only been in school for one day is a good sign, right?

Antoine had a little crash, took those stitches like a man ;)

ALN got a nice little stinger during the race. In case you can't tell, that's an Avid disc brake.



Jealous, Dr. Watson?

One of the last sunsets in Saalfelden. Picture doesn't do it justice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment